This bread is very easy to make and I’m pretty sure that it’s on the healthy side. Oats and whole wheat flour–it’s got to be, right? Either way, it’s quick to make and delicious. I have found myself making it on a regular basis because I like to have it around. I think it’s got a little bit of a sweet flavor to it and it’s great toasted for breakfast. Hope you enjoy!
1 1/4 cups warm water (105-115F)
2 teaspoons active dry yeast (one packet)
1 tablespoon honey
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup rolled oats (not instant oats)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons butter, melted, for brushing
1. Sprinkle yeast onto the warm water and stir until it dissolves. Stir in the honey and set aside (about 5-10 minutes). It should start foaming.
2. Mix dry ingredients (flours, oats and salt).
3. Add the yeast mixture to your dry ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon.
4. Place the dough into a greased loaf pan and set in front of a warm spot (I use my space heater) for 30 minutes as it rises.
5. Bakes at 350F for 35-40 minutes until golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack and enjoy!
From 101 Cookbooks. Originally adapted from Gran’s Kitchen: Recipes from the Notebooks of Dulcie May Booker.
Time for a picture of the cat helping with the dishes??