I love these little biscuits. My mom would make these when we were little for dinner, so I very much associate them with my childhood. They have a handful of wheat germ in them, which gives them a really interesting, kind of nutty flavor. I haven’t tried toasting the wheat germ before I add it, but I think that it would be another way to bring out that flavor. Make some today! Then freeze the extras so you always have one on hand for dinner or breakfast. Enjoy! And thank you for reading.
2 cups flour
4 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup milk
handful of wheat germ
1. Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, cream of tartar and salt. Cut in the butter with your fingers until the mixture resembles lumpy crumbs.
2. Make a well in the center and add the milk all at once.
3. Stir, just til dough clings together.
4. Knead gently on a lightly floured surface for 10-12 stokes. As you are kneading, add in the handful of wheat germ.
5. Drop spoonfuls of dough onto a lined baking sheet.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes at 450 degrees till golden brown.
7. Cool on a wire rack.
Source: My mother.
at her favorite spot, the bathroom radiator, waiting for the shower to turn on.